Travel across five different agro-climatic zones. Learn about the social life of primates. . Sunrise on top of Pidurangala rock and sunset on top of Sigiriya Lion rock. Understand the significance of traditional Kandyan home garden system. Unforgettable train journey through tea plantations.
This southbound-across-the highland walking tour starts in Yapahuwa and ends in Negombo.
Duration: 14 days 13 nights
Type: Small group – 4 to 8
Treks: 4 – 60 km (total distance)
Level: Easy to moderate
Start: Colombo International Airport (CMB)
End: Colombo or Negombo
Day 1: Airport / Yapahuwa – 120 KM
Climb the Yapahuwa Rock Fortress.
Day 2: Yapahuwa – Nikawewa – Pidurangala (Sigiriya)
Trek to Nagala mountain – 15 km
Day 3: Pidurangala (Sigiriya)
Climb the Pidurangala rock.
Optional visits: Sigiriya Lion Rock, National Park ( Minneriya, Kaudulla or Eco Park )
Day 4: Sigiriya – Polonnuruwa
Introduction to primates of Sri Lanka. Night walk to spot the elusive Slender Loris.
Optional visits: Polonnaruwa archeological site
Day 5: Polonnaruwa – Riverston (Knuckles forest range)
Guided monkey trail through the Polonnaruwa archeological site.
Day 6: Riverston – Kandy
Trek to Maningala mountain – 12 km
Day 7: Kandy
Trek to ancient strategic outpost in Balana – 18 km
Day 8: Kandy
Day at leisure. Do what you want!
Optional visits: Peradeniya Botanical Garden / Kandy city & market / Sacred Tooth Relic Temple
Day 9: Kandy – Nuwara Eliya – Belipola
Travel by train to Nuwaraeliya.
Introduction to Analog Forestry & organic farming.
Day 10: Belipola
Full day activities in organic farming with local organic farmer families.
Day 11: Belipola – Ohiya
Day 12: Ohiya – Kalupahana – Wirawila
Trek to Kalupahana – 15 km
Day 13: Wirawila – Galle – Colombo
Day 14: Colombo – Airport (B.I.A)
♥ Yapahuwa rock fortress and temple
♥ Pidurangala rock in Sigiriya
♥ Learn about social life of primates of Sri Lanka
♥ Knuckles forest range
♥ Learn about the the Kandyan home-garden system and analog forestry
♥ Learn the art of traditional dance & drums
♥ Scenic train journey
♥ Interact with local community
♥ Try your hand at cooking a Sri Lankan meal with a local family
♥ Do your own thing
♥ Nagala trek – 15km
♥ Maningala trek – 12km
♥ Balana trek – 18km
♥ Devils trek – 15km
Double or Twin room share basis – triple / single on request
Our preferred accommodation stops
- Yapahuwa – Yapahuwa Paradise
- Pidurangala – Kurulu Uyana
- Riverston (Knuckles forest range) – Sir John’s Bungalow (en suite rooms with private bathrooms) or Gal Bungalawa (dorm type accommodation with separate bathrooms & toilets)
- Kandy – Queens hotel or Shangrila family run guest house in Kandy city centre
- Belipola – Forest Garden
- Wirawila – Farmers House
- Colombo – Lake Lodge (Colombo 5) or Horakelle bungalow (in close proximity to the airport)
- Air-conditioned passenger van with rear luggage compartment
- Auto rickshaw (tuk-tuk) / local bus & train – as required
- English speaking Chauffeur Guide
- Local trek guide during treks
- 13 nights accommodation
- 13 breakfasts
- 11 lunches (packed, local eatery or local house)
- 10 dinners
- Water & fruits during walks
- Entrance fees to Yapahuwa rock fortress, Pidurangala rock, Polonnaruwa archeological site & Knuckles forest range
- International flights
- Travel insurance
- Visa fees
- Departure tax (if applicable)
- National Tour Guide – on request
- Optional visits and entrance fees
- Tips and personal expenses
- Drinks during meals
- 2 lunches
- 3 dinners
Choose your dates, who goes with you, tailor make the program if you wish to and then we will send you the price and the detailed itinerary.